Monday, June 9, 2008

Bad Parent Moment

Here's a random bad parent moment for your enjoyment...

So, something happened about a week and a half ago that made me feel like the most negligent parent on earth. I was making dinner and the kids were playing upstairs. Suddenly I heard Emma screaming. I dropped what I was doing and ran upstairs. She was laying on the floor crying and Isaac told me he had thrown a pillow at her, and it knocked her over into the shelf that holds our DVDs. So, I picked her up and looked at her to make sure she was OK. Obviously I didn't look in the right place, because I thought she was fine, and I went back downstairs to finish making dinner. Then our family ate dinner together. After dinner as I starting to load the dishwasher, Emma walked past me and I reached down to touch her head, and realized there was something in her hair. When I looked down, I saw that her head was COVERED in blood. There was dried blood all over her scalp and down her hair. There were even blood drops all over the back of her shirt. I knew immediately that it was from her "injury" while I was making dinner. But seriously, there was a ton of blood on her hair, and neither David or I had noticed. That's pretty bad. Of course, I freaked out! There was so much blood that it was impossible to see where the actual injury was, so we rushed her up to the bath. It was so sad how much blood ran down the drain, and it took me 3 times of washing her hair (very carefully) to finally see how big (or should I say small?) the cut was. It was a tiny little cut. I've heard before that heads bleed like crazy, and that's no joke! I can't believe that much blood came out of one tiny little cut! I still feel bad that my baby had blood oozing out of her head for about an hour before I noticed, though! Anyway, here's a picture of her small little scab (as it looks today).

5 comments:

Helen said...

Oh my goodness! I would have flipped! I'm glad she's okay! I've never heard that heads bleed a lot. Thanks for the warning!

Sue said...

So sorry you bonked. Love you Emma.

Unknown said...

Poor Emma! That hurt! Good thing heads are hard. It's scary when kids bleed!!

Michelle Van Der Wel said...

Poor Melissa, I feel worse for you than I do for Emma, since she was obviously unharmed. But I can imagine your panic...Sometimes a small cut just nicks a vein or something...glad she's ok.

Nicole said...

No one could ever call you a bad parent! Those things happen! (some how they happen to me a lot... hmmm) Anyway, if it was serious, you would have realized it much sooner!! There would have been more crying, blood, etc. No harm done.